- Review the general information for the type of record you wish to obtain: birth, marriage, death, civil union, or domestic partnership certificate.
- Complete the “Application for a Certification or Certified Copy of a Vital Record” (birth, marriage, civil union, domestic partnership, or death certificate) [pdf ] [doc]
- Make sure that you have the required supporting documents: proper identification, proof of relationship, and the application fee.
You may now submit your completed application and supporting documentation in any of the following ways:
- Visit or write the Local Registrar in the municipality where the vital record event occurred. Same day service is available. Fees vary by municipality; please contact the Local Registrar for details.*
- Visit the State Bureau of Vital Statistics and Registration in Trenton. Same day service is available.
- Mail a written request to the State Bureau of Vital Statistics and Registration in Trenton, or to the Local Registrar in the municipality where the event occurred.*
- Submit an online request using the VitalCheck Service. Additional fees apply.
*Please be advised, if you intend to apply for an Apostille Seal or your birth is registered in Jersey City and you are applying for a passport, you must obtain your certified copy from the State Bureau of Vital Statistics and Registration.