Mayor Mark A. Smith announced that the City of Bayonne’s 2011 street-paving program will begin in August. A starting date will be announced. The paving contractor, Tilcon New York, Inc., will also resurface streets remaining from 2010. Mayor Smith said, “This summer’s paving activities will improve streets in several neighborhoods of our community. All of the resurfacing will take place on side streets. We ask for the public’s patience in each of the areas affected by the paving.”
Tilcon was the successful bidder for the 2011 paving contract, with a bid price of $499,975.56. The 2011 program is made possible by funding from four sources: $397,524.00 in state funds from the New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT); $18,000.00 in federal funds from Bayonne’s Community Development Block Grant (CDBG); $52,159.00 from Bayonne’s Local Road Restoration Fund; and $33,292.56 from the Bayonne Municipal Utilities Authority.
Tilcon has also replaced Owl Contracting, the original paving firm for the 2010 resurfacing program. Owl defaulted earlier this year. This default situation caused the project’s surety bond company to designate a substitute contractor. The bond company gave English Paving, the second bidder, an opportunity to replace Owl. After English failed to sign the contract, the bond company turned to Tilcon, the third bidder. The 2010 resurfacing program is funded by $447,672.00 from the NJDOT.
Tilcon will mobilize to resurface the streets from both the 2010 and 2011 programs in a combined operation. The following streets and locations will be repaved:
- Margaret Street – from Kennedy Blvd. to Avenue A
– Linnet Street – from Avenue E to Isabella Avenue
– West 2nd Street -from Humphreys Avenue to Newman Avenue
-West 6th Street – from Avenue C to Humphreys Avenue
– West 9th Street – from Avenue A to Newark Bay, and from Kennedy Blvd. to Avenue C
– West 19th Street – from Avenue A to the western end of the street
– Church Lane -from East 22nd Street to East 25th Street
– Parkview Terrace -from West 26th Street to West 27th Street
-West 29th Street – from Avenue A to Avenue C
– East 30th Street – from Prospect Avenue to Route 440
-East 31st Street – from Broadway to Avenue E
-Joan Ree Terrace – from Avenue C to the end
– West 45th Street – from Kennedy Blvd. to Avenue B
– East 46th Street -from Broadway to Avenue E
– West 47th Street – from Avenue B to Kennedy Blvd.
– West 56th Street – from Avenue B to Kennedy Blvd.
– West 57th Street – between Avenue B and Avenue C
Before work begins, signs will be posted to announce the temporary impact of construction on parking and traffic in each neighborhood. Plans for the paving programs include repair work of some curbs and other concrete on the streets. Milling and removal of the old street surface must take place before repaving can begin on each particular street. Paving schedules are subject to change, due to the weather and other factors.